Why Tribe pf Hackers?
I have never thought about writing a blog about a book but “Tribe of Hackers” is an exception.
Reading books are great but you know what is amazingly exciting and better?
It is reading interesting and captivating books that an average reader can relate to.
This is the story of Tribe of hackers.
I have read a couple of cybersecurity books and I must say this book stands out.
Still wondering why?
Tribe of hackers isn’t your regular “hacking book”. It is a book that brings the best of “cybersecurity advice from the best hackers” right to your desk.
It is amazing how this book has been so inspiring to me and I have recommended it to anyone who is interested in cybersecurity or have a career a in cybersecurity.
There are a lot of misconception about cybersecurity. From understanding the idea behind cybersecurity to building a career in cybersecurity. Marcus Carey and Jennifer Jin did a great job by bringing together cybersecurity professionals that has different perspective about cybersecurity and answered some really interesting question.
According to Marcus, ” I was inspired to create this book after reading Tim Ferriss’s Tribe of Mentors. I started compiling the questions that I get asked the most at conferences and in conversations with others, and narrowed it down to the list you see in the book.”
About the Authors
Marcus is renowned in the cybersecurity industry and has spent his more than 20-year career working in penetration testing, incident response, and digital forensics with federal agencies such as NSA, DC3, DIA,and DARPA. He started his career in cryptography in the U.S. Navy and holds a Master’s degree in Network Security from Capitol College. Marcus regularly speaks at security conferences across the country. He is passionate about giving back to the community through things like mentorship, hackathons, and speaking engagements, and is a voracious reader in his spare time. Tribe of Hackers is his first published book, but will definitely not be his last.
Jennifer was raised in Dallas, TX before graduating from The University of Texas at Austin with a degree in Communication Studies. As Threatcare’s Head of Communications, she ensures all departments are running smoothly and efficiently, while also owning event planning, content marketing, and customer support.Jennifer satisfies her undying curiosity by dabbling in photography and modeling, playing and streaming PC games, and traveling to new countries. She volunteers regularly for Rainforest Partnership with marketing and events, and serves on alpha Kappa Delta Phi International Sorority, Inc.’s National Board as Southwestern Governor.She knew nothing about self-publishing before Tribe of Hackers, and is eternally grateful to have been hired to work at Threatcare with no prior cybersecurity experience
What is the Tribe of Hackers About?
The book revolves around some key questions about cybersecurity. This questions are:
- If there was a myth that you could debunk in cybersecurity, what would it be?
- What is one of the biggest bang-for-the buck actions that an organization can take to improve their cyber posture?
- How is it that cybersecurity spending is increasing but breaches are still happening?
- Do you need a college degree or certification to be a cybersecurity professional?
- How did you get started in the cybersecurity field, and what advice would you give to a beginner pursuing a career in cybersecurity?
- What is your specialty in cybersecurity? How can others gain expertise in your specialty?
- What is your advice for career success when it comes to getting hired, climbing the corporate ladder, or starting a company in cybersecurity?
- What qualities do you believe all highly successful cybersecurity professionals share?
- What is the best book or movie that can be used to illustrate cybersecurity challenges?
- What is your favorite hacker movie?
- What are your favorite books for motivation, personal development, or enjoyment?
- What is some practical cybersecurity advice you give to people at home in the age of social media and the Internet of Things?
- What is a life hack that you’d like to share?
- What is the biggest mistake you’ve ever made, and how did you recover from it?
Tribe of hackers is available on threatcare’s website.There is a free PDF available on there and you can also get a copy of the book on Amazon
“The beautiful thing about Tribe of Hackers is that all the proceeds are going to charity”