Table of Contents
National Cybersecurity Awareness Month – We all have a Role to Play in Ensuring a Safer Internet
I am always excited about October and No it isn’t my birthday month. LOL
October is NATIONAL CYBERSECURITY AWARENESS MONTH! This is a collaboration between government and industries to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity and ways to stay safe and more secure on the internet.
The theme for 2019 is OWN IT. SECURE IT. PROTECT IT and this emphasizes on personal accountability and stress the importance of taking proactive steps to enhance cybersecurity at home and in the workplace.
What can I do to be a part of the National Cybersecurity Awareness Month?
Every individual has a responsibility in being safe and secure online. It is not the responsibility of the government, industry or cybersecurity professionals alone. There are various ways you can participate in creating awareness this month.This includes;
- Spreading the word about staying safe online – There are basic tips every individual should know in other to be safe online. You can use social media to spread the word and help internet users in understanding the importance of a safe internet by providing tips on various ways to ensure online safety.
- Proactively follow tips – You are the backbone of this month. For every step you take in staying safe online, you give this month a big win which is a win for us all.
- Organize cybersecurity events: We know a lot of individuals and cooperate bodies do this always but this month should be an extra boast in creating cybersecurity awareness. Visit schools, markets, religious centers, organizations and a lot more to ensure that the message is passed across outside social media.
- Sponsor a cybersecurity event: As a brand or an individual, it will be pleasing to sponsor and event as great as creating cybersecurity awareness. There are individuals and volunteer groups who needs sponsorship in carrying out awareness in some locations. You can be a part of this “awareness movement” by helping those who are ready to push this awareness to ensure that online security is achieved in the barest minimum.
- Talk to your friends and families: Most times, we forget the ones close to us and go farther spreading the gospel of cybersecurity awareness. We need to start with our immediate environment. Be sure that your family and friends understand online security. Share those basic tips with them. Take this month to start a conversation with that neighbor of yours – talk about online security extensively.
October isn’t the only time cybersecurity awareness should be spread, it should be a continuous responsibility as we all owe it to ourselves and our communities in making the internet a safer place. Follow the National cybersecurity awareness month conversations by joining or using the following hashtags #NCSAM #BeCyberSmart #CyberAware #NoGoFallMaga