Cyber Security for Small Businesses
Small businesses and individual entrepreneurs are not left out as targets by cyber criminals. Small businesses are big victims when it comes to cyber-attacks. They should be aware that their companies do represent worthwhile opportunities for hackers.
Most small business are targets for cyber criminals because they have more finances than ordinary people. They also have less cyber protection than larger companies
Customers information are stored on the database of small businesses and cyber attackers sometimes leverages on customer data.
Most small business owners do not understand this threat and hence underestimate them. They do not care about the cyber protection of their resources. All this makes them a perfect target
Here are some few security tips for small business
- Use Strong Passwords:Your passwords are as important as your business. It is one of the first and easiest thing to do. Use strong passwords which should be a minimum of 12 characters.A good password includes numbers, symbols, upper case letters and lower-case letters. Teach your employees the importance of complex passwords.
- Minimize the number of attempts for password entering:Having a complex password is good but there are password crackers that aids in the cracking of passwords. Minimize the number of attempts to 3-4 times hence if an attacker tries to brute force your password, it will be really difficult.
- Employee Education:Educate your employees regularly on cyber threats and steps to take in been cyber protected. Your employees are your weakest links so it could help to spend money on training them than becoming victim of cyber attack which may be a huge loss for your business. Create a manual that will explain the basics of cybersecurity.
- Update Software regularly: Do not ignore the pop-up messages recommending the updates that are available.Software updates sometimes includes security patches discovered by the vendors and should be taken very seriously.
- Don’t store Passwords on computers: Passwords saved on computer are so convenient but it is a security problem. If your computer gets hacked, the attacker gets access to ALL YOUR PASSWORDS.
- Be wary of Links:There is a significant increase in the number of malicious links sent as an email.Do not click on links from unknown sender.Phishing has become the order of the day and this could cause a huge financial loss